Where Do The Developer Contributions Go?

Planning applications for more housing are often met with cries from residents for more doctors, schools, better roads and other facilities. The mitigation of additional housing is addressed within the planning process using Section 106 agreements.

A Section 106 is a legal agreement between an applicant seeking planning permission and the local planning authority, which is used to mitigate the impact of your new home on the local community and infrastructure.

With the plethora of development across the district, residents might rightly ask “Where do the developer contributions go?”

After some conversations with the ex-Managing Director when I was elected I managed to get the Council to publish the information on their website here. (which doesn’t appear to be up to date)

It’s interesting to look at the contributions that the Council are holding for various reasons. I’ll focus on the Rayleigh ones for now

£71,015.13Healthcare contribution. Money received on behalf NHS England. Monies held in a designated account until an invoice is received for provision of capital project.Received 10/8/15
£20,000.00Rochford District Council Community Facility contribution.
To be used on the development of community facilities
near the site.
Received 10/8/15
£45,000.00Community Facility contribution for overhaul and upgrade to Little Wheatleys Play Space.

This doesn’t appear to have the full information published as there are S106 payments from the Land North of London Road that should be published.

Spending of some monies is dependant on the organisations such as NHS. If they don’t request the monies then ultimately it can be returned to the developer.

You might also be interest in these posts...

About the author 

James Newport

Essex County Councillor for Rayleigh North, Rochford District Councillor for Downhall & Rawreth and Rayleigh Town Councillor for Sweyne.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}