Myself and my fellow Lib Dem District Councillors (Chris, Jim, David & Andrew) have called for an extraordinary council meeting to propose our motion to declare a 'Cost of Living Emergency' in our District.
Whilst predominately the levers to tackle the cost of living crisis rest with central government, we know there are steps the Council can take to help support our residents and businesses across the district and we should be making sure we work effectively with all our partners to deliver these steps.
We are asking council to
- Declare a ‘cost of living’ emergency in the Rochford District.
- Set up a cross party working group to ensure a coordinated and proactive response to the cost-of-living crisis.
- Ensure that council decisions are not disproportionately impacting onresidents who are struggling the most, through introducing a socioeconomic duty and considering socio- economic impacts in all our equalityimpact assessments.
- Ensure that cost of living concerns are taken into consideration in all Council decisions.
- To develop and expand Rochford District Council’s work to provide up todate, accurate information and advice to residents on how to managepersonal finances efficiently.
I am really hopeful that the whole council will come together on this issue and work to try and help in anyway to ease the burden on our residents and businesses.
Please come along to the Council meeting which will be held at the Mill Hall on 13th September 2022 at 8.30pm