Tonight I attended a presentation given by Roger Hirst (Essex Police & Crime Commissioner) and ahem, a couple of invisible police chiefs (not quite sure where they went), about the new Essex Police & Crime plan. This plan lays out 7 key areas that Mr Hirst wants Essex police to focus on.
1. More local, visible and accessible policing.
2. Crack down on anti-social behaviour.
3. Be tough on domestic abuse.
4. Reverse the trend in serious violence.
5. Tackle gangs and organised crime.
6. Protect children and vulnerable people from harm.
7. Improve safety on our roads.
I must say Mr Hirst gave an interesting presentation and seemed to engage with the audience members very well. In fact at 9.30pm, Cllr June Lumley had to ask for final questions as poor old Mr Hirst wouldn’t be getting home anytime soon.
I managed to get some commitment from Mr Hirst – my question was “Will you reinstate the police liaison officers in schools?” Mr Hirst responded that he would, and when pressed by myself into whether he would commit, he responded that he was committed to a joint police/fire service liaison in schools.
I think Mr Hirst’s plan targets all the areas most of us would like to see. If you’ve got comments on his plan then follow this link to complete the survey.